University of Duhok-College of Pharmacy
Pharmacology is the branch of pharmaceutical sciences which is concerned with the study of drug or medication action, where a drug can be broadly defined as any synthetic, natural, or endogenous (from within the body) molecule which exerts a biochemical or physiological effect on the cell, tissue, organ, or organism.
Pharmacology and Toxicology are integrative biological sciences that examine the properties of chemical compounds and their interactions with living systems. They provide the scientific basis for the study of chemical actions in the health sciences, the use of drugs as therapeutic agents or as tools in scientific research, the development and control of pharmaceutical products, and the investigation and control of pollutants and poisons in natural and social environments.
In the practical session students do different experiments on laboratory animals to observe the effect of different drugs on the living organs.
- Department of Pharmacology
The department was established in 2009-2010 to assure the effect of medicines and the following-up of its effect on different body tissues and to explore their interactions and side effects. The department aims to teach methods that determine the doses of poisons and dynamic evaluation and identification of toxicity. It also studies the basis of different physiological body and medicines and the proper use and security of understanding toxicity mechanism of many compounds and vehicles in human body, as well as how to avoid tissue damage by these toxic substances.
Dr.Ammar Ahmed Mohammed
The mission of this department is to improve learning and education of pharmacology in integrative manner with basic medical sciences in the college of pharmacy. In addition, enhancement and improvement of research activities are target aim of the staff members in this department. The department also focuses on the implication of pharmacy practice in hospitals and other health aspects.
The vision of the department is to be a recognized and distinguished unit in the field of pharmacology and toxicology in Kurdistan region, Iraq, and abroad by providing excellent teaching and training for the pharmacy, and other graduate students.
- Maintain a high-quality educational environment depending on the principles of team-based learning
- Develop and implement innovative teaching modules that incorporate contemporary real-life issues faced by practicing pharmacists and health-care teams.
- Incorporate assessment data, students feedback and peer observation of teaching into the continuous improvement process.
- Enrich department academic and research productivity through targeted recruitment and implementation of college development programs.
- Engaging students in research and scholarly activities and contributing to the advancement of knowledge.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with researchers from other departments, colleges and universities, as well as with other international academic institutions.
3- Patient care and public services
- Provide students individualized learning opportunities that prepare them to be active participants in the care of their patients in the future.
- Implement a sustainable health literacy programs in Duhok to improve patient outcomes.
- Address the unmet health care needs of the rural and underserved population through education and intervention.
- Developing pharmacy practice activities, which can be more helpful in the benefit of patients and medical staff.