University of Duhok-College of Pharmacy
Pharmacology is the branch of pharmaceutical sciences which is concerned with the study of drug or medication action, where a drug can be broadly defined as any synthetic, natural, or endogenous (from within the body) molecule which exerts a biochemical or physiological effect on the cell, tissue, organ, or organism.
Pharmacology and Toxicology are integrative biological sciences that examine the properties of chemical compounds and their interactions with living systems. They provide the scientific basis for the study of chemical actions in the health sciences, the use of drugs as therapeutic agents or as tools in scientific research, the development and control of pharmaceutical products, and the investigation and control of pollutants and poisons in natural and social environments.
In the practical session students do different experiments on laboratory animals to observe the effect of different drugs on the living organs.
- Department of Pharmacology
Department of Pharmacology is one of the important branches of the college of Pharmacy at the University of Duhok. It is established in 2009-2010 and currently located in the second floor of the college building.
The Department is committed to play a significant role in attaining the mission of the College of Pharmacy.
The contribution of our Department to the University educational is significant. For undergraduate students, we take part in teaching medical, dental, pharmacy and nursing students. Additionally, we offer a Master’s Programs in pharmacology and related sciences for the postgraduate students.
The department research areas were selected to optimize as well as serve in a better healthcare delivery to patients. The Department members are strongly encouraged to collaborate with colleagues from basic and clinical disciplines and they are keen to have international reach out.
Our department members are all efficiently sharing in providing service to the College, the University and the community in various activities. And we are willing to offer our expertise whenever needed.
Head of the Department of Pharmacology
Assistant Lecturer: Dr. Rabie Gabriel Abdullah
To improve learning and education of pharmacology in integrative manner with basic medical sciences in the college of pharmacy and medical colleges. In addition, enhancement and improvement of research activities are target aim of the staff members in the department.
The vision of the department is to be a recognized and distinguished unit in the field of pharmacology and toxicology in Kurdistan region, Iraq, and abroad by providing excellent teaching and training for the pharmacy, medical, and graduate students.
- Maintain a high-quality educational environment depending on the principles of team-based learning
- Develop and implement innovative teaching modules that incorporate contemporary real-life issues faced by practicing pharmacists and health-care teams.
- Incorporate assessment data, students feedback and peer observation of teaching into the continuous improvement process.
- Enrich department academic and research productivity through targeted recruitment and implementation of college development programs.
- Engaging students in research and scholarly activities and contributing to the advancement of knowledge.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with researchers from other departments, colleges, universities, and institutions.
3- Patient care and public services
- Provide students individualized learning opportunities that prepare them to be active participants in the care of their patients in the future.
- Implement a sustainable health literacy programs in Duhok to improve patient outcomes.
- Address the unmet health care needs of the rural and underserved population through education and intervention.