The Department of Horticulture is one of the main and important departments in the College of Agriculture was established in 1992 with the establishment of the university and college in the name of the plant production department and in 2000-2001 became the horticulture department. The preliminary study started in 1992-1993 whereas the postgraduate studies started in 1997-1998.
Duties of department
Horticulture department tried to coordinate with its scientific programs of education in order to prepare and graduate a rich in specialists horticulture sciences to be able to work in the management and production of various agricultural crops and improve their quality and quantity, as well as provide them with scientific testimony in the fields of (vegetables, fruit, ornamental plants production, seedling production, plant physiology and tissue culture), Furthermore ,working to strengthen relations and continuous communication with colleges, scientific institutes, domestic and foreign government departments to exchange ideas, information and scientific expertise, and trying to solve agricultural problems in the region, producing and importing new stocks of horticultural plants, their cultivation methods and fertilization and irrigation, and how to work or use of agro- machines and apparatus for harvesting and irrigation, breeding of various horticultural plants, testing and seed production ..... etc.
Goals of department
- Prepare agricultural engineers with scientific and practical experience to build up their ability to develop agriculture in Kurdistan and increase the level of fruit, vegetable, and ornamental plant production, and find the best solutions to agricultural problems and who are working in this area.
- Creating and producing new cultivars of fruit and ornamental trees that are adapted to the Kurdistan environment as well as the production and preparation of horticultural seedlings from outside the Kurdistan region through college nurseries.
- Developing the staff through the opening training workshops, English and computer application courses, as well as participation in national session campaigns in order to raise and develop the scientific and practical level in order to develop horticultural production in Kurdistan.
Department programs and activities the department adopted several goals through balance and integration between education, research, and other activities to facilitate access to the task, and the department activities include the following fields
- Production and breeding of horticultural plants and their physiology.
2. Activating the role of the protected production. (Production of protected crops)
3. Overseeing the parks.
4. Opening training courses in the field of seed technology.
5. Research for rapid processing.
6. Dissemination of research in local and international journals.
7. Cooperation with government departments and institutions.
8. Assessment of research, master (MS), and doctoral (Ph.D.) thesis.
Aims of education programs
- Working on the ongoing cooperation with the teaching staff generations and students in order to raise their scientific levels.
- Preparing graduates with scientific expertise and agricultural supervisors for development in the field of fruits, vegetables, and ornamental plant production.
Work fields for graduates of the department:
- Graduates can work in the public sector (government) and private
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources
- The Ministry of Youth and Sports (sports stadiums management playgrounds football, slob)
- The Ministry of Tourism ( management of natural areas in the region
- Intergovernmental and nongovernmental Nurseries
- The Ministry of Municipalities (supervision of the tourism parks and gardens )
- Workshops on education and dealing with horticultural crops
- agricultural research stations or centers (horticultural)
- prepare the cadres of the institutes and high school
The Department of Horticulture provides an environment for students to become academics or specialists in plant growth and horticultural crop management. The program addresses various aspects of the profession through courses that provide theoretical knowledge and technical skills including special problems research opportunities. The Department of Horticulture provides B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. in most of the horticulture specializations even for other neighboring universities.
The department offers a 4-year B.Sc. program in Horticulture and a 2-year M.Sc. program as well as a Ph.D. program.
Our department has many horticultural constructions like progressed laboratories, greenhouses, plastic houses, lath houses, ornamental nurseries, orchards, and vegetable farms.