Department of Horticulture is one of the main and important departments
in the College of Agriculture was
establish in 1992 with the establishment of the university and college in name
of plant production department and in 2000-2001 has became horticulture
department. The preliminary study started in 1992-1993 whereas the postgraduate studies started in 1997-1998
The number of teaching staff is 34.
- Number of current undergraduate
- Staff /student ratio 7.6.
- The teaching staff includes 1 professor, 12 assistant professors, 12 lecturers and 9 Assistant Lecturers.
Duties of department
Horticulture department tried to coordinate with its scientific programs of education in order to prepare and graduate a rich in specialists horticulture sciences to be able to work in the management and production of various agricultural crops and improve their quality and quantity, as well as provide them with scientific testimony in the fields of (vegetables, fruit, ornamental plants production, seedling production, plant physiology and tissue culture), Furthermore ,working to strengthen relations and continuous communication with colleges, scientific institutes, domestic and foreign government departments to exchange ideas, information and scientific expertise, and trying to solve agricultural problems in the region, producing and importing new stocks of horticultural plants, their cultivation methods and fertilization and irrigation, and how to work or use of agro- machines and apparatus for harvesting and irrigation, breeding of various horticultural plants, testing and seed production ..... etc.
Goals of department
- Preparing agricultural
engineers with scientific and practical experience to build up their ability to
develop agriculture in Kurdistan and increase the level of fruit, vegetables
and ornamental plants production, and find the best solutions to agricultural
problems and who are working in this area.
- Creating and producing new
cultivars of fruit and ornamental trees that are adapted to the Kurdistan
environment as well as the production and preparation of horticultural
seedlings from outside Kurdistan region through college nurseries.
- Developing the staff
through the opening training workshops, English and computer application
courses, as well as participation in national session's campaigns in order to
raise and develop the scientific and practical level in order to develop
horticultural production in Kurdistan.
Department programs and activities the department adopted several goals through balance and integration between education, research and other activities to facilitate access to the task, and the department activities includes in the following fields
Production and breeding of horticultural plants and their physiology.
2. Activating the role of the protected production. (Production of protected crops)
3. Overseeing on the parks.
4. Opening training courses in the field of seed technology.
5. Researches for rapid processing.
6. Dissemination of research in local and international journals.
7. Cooperation with government departments and institutions.
8. Assessment of research, master (MS) and doctoral (PHD) thesis.
Aims of education programs
- Working on the ongoing cooperation with the teaching staff
generations and students in
order to raise their scientific levels.
- Preparing graduates with scientific expertise
and agricultural supervisors for development in the field of fruits, vegetables
and ornamental plants production.
Work fields for graduates of department:
- Graduates can work in the
public sector (government) and private
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources
- The Ministry of Youth and Sports (sports stadiums management
playgrounds football, slob)
- The Ministry of Tourism ( management of natural areas in the region
and nongovernmental Nurseries
- The Ministry of Municipalities (supervision of the tourism parks and
- Workshops on education and dealing with horticultural crops
- agricultural research stations or centers (horticultural)
- prepare the cadres of the institutes and high school