The department of Agriculture Extension and Rural Development was established on 11th of June, 2015 due to the need for qualified and competent professionals in Agricultural Extension who can guide and help farmers and their families in the rural areas of the Kurdistan region which depend mainly on agriculture and animal husbandry as the main source of income. The Department implements its goals and objectives through well-balanced integration between education, research, and outreach activities.
The department offers a 4-year B.Sc. program in Agriculture Extension and a 2-year M.Sc. program as well as a Ph.D. program.
The department endeavors to prepare qualified students with agriculture extension skills who can:
- Help farmers especially in rural areas in Kurdistan and Iraq to develop their work and help eradicate poverty and food insecurity and to improve their social and economic well-being by introducing modern agricultural techniques and methods suitable to their environment.
- Conducting applied scientific research, workshops, and training programs in different branches of agricultural extension to study the problems that face the improvement of Agriculture production and recommend suitable solutions for them.
- Contribute to developing agricultural awareness among farmers, especially in areas of agribusiness and agricultural marketing in coordination with the Agriculture Extension Center in Duhok Governorate.
The Education Program:
The Agricultural Extension and Rural Development Department implement its goals and objectives through well-balanced integration between education, research, and outreach activities. In order to facilitate achieving the mission of the department, Agricultural Extension and Rural development activities may be divided into several areas of interest.
- Rural Sociology.
- Adult Education.
- Rural Leaderships.
- Group Dynamic.
- Educational Psychology.
- Agricultural Media.
- Extension Management.
- Extension Methods.
- Extension Program planning.
- Extension Program Evaluation.
- Technology Transfer.
- Extension Environment.
- Extension Training.
- Extension Marketing.
- Sustainable Rural Development.
- Rural Women Extension
- Rural Youth Extension