College of Humanities
The College offers a B.A according to specialization for undergraduate study and an MA for graduate study in the fields of history, geography, theater (drama) and sociology .It is also awards Ph.D. Degrees in Modern History, Medieval History, Geography and Theater (Drama).
The University of Duhok is committed to the task of building a new Kurdish Society. Hence, interest is focused on preserving Kurdish national awareness by encouraging the use of the Kurdish language, preservation of Kurdish art, and acknowledgment of the history of the Kurdish people. To this end, the founding of the College of Arts in 1994 was essential to successfully accomplish this undertaking.
The need for efficient English interpreters and translators in government and private agencies prompted the development of the department of English Language in 1996. The department of English is also responsible for teaching English throughout the University of Duhok and runs extensive English Language courses for the teaching and administrative staff of the university and other governmental agencies. To fill the gaps in the teaching staff of Duhok's ministry of Education, the department of Geography was opened in 2005.
Since the opening of the college, it has been engaged in development, maintenance, services, and information technology. The educational environment is tailored to meet the needs of students and provide them with a variety of professional skills. The college employs modern teaching methods and has research and computing facilities to train students to look ahead and meet the needs of the future.
1- Graduation of cadres that are able to serve the society effectively by following the established scientific courses supporting theory and practical side by side, ensuring qualified teaching cadres and securing modern scientific references in addition to college's efforts for expanding and developing its scientific laboratories, plus training of students on the practical side to convert studying to a palpable fact serving and completing theoretical side.
2- Graduation of instruction cadres (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) for preparing the futuristic cadres whom will complete the strategic plans of college in research and academic fields.
3- Activation of research fields and expanding its branches to include all specialties which serves the college purposes for putting the college on the context of international research development firstly and for the service of research activity that aims at promoting the community secondly.
The College's objectives
- Working to promote the implementation of the quality assurance system in the best possible way, as a contribution to the development of the University of Duhok (UoD) and the attainment of the highest international ranking.
- Enabling the scientific role to raise awareness of the society and then conducting scientific research projects through credible and appropriate scientific methods and means to resolve social problems.
- Preparation of an academic cadre (faculty) with experience in History, Geography, Education, Peace and Human Rights, Drama and Plastic Arts, Sociology, and Psychology, each according to his/her competence.
- Emphasizing independence in the preparation, arrangement, and follow-up of academic subjects; the improvements and modifications are made in compliance with the changes.
- Developing students scientifically through study, excursions, workshops, seminars, conferences, and various activities.
- Preparing the College's environment from the classrooms, the library, event halls, gardens, and providing students with an ability to be more attached to the College.
- Paying attention to the educational and ethical aspects and promoting the culture of peace, humanity, and patriotism among all.
- Opening all doors and lines of contact with any institution ready to serve the Kurdish community, whether governmental or non-governmental, local or international, inside or outside the University of Duhok.
- Seeking to provide new graduates with job opportunities by exhibiting their skills and potential before any non-governmental agency or private sector companies.
The College's vision
The College is striving to be one of the region's most reputed and trustworthy educational institutions. Therefor it started with the graduation of bachelor's students in several fields of value to society at a quantitative and qualitative level, particularly those that the labor market in Kurdistan needs and awaits for its graduates. In addition to high education studies (MSc and Ph.D.), both vertical and horizontal pathways will be completed. To this end, the College pays a great deal of attention to its faculty to be at their best. It also dedicated its faculty to community service by writing and publishing scientific studies and publishing books. Another essential point is that its staff is available in advice and guidance for the formal and informal institutions in the Kurdistan Region and international bodies as well, also in the field of teaching and training.
Practical use of courses
The college has good connections with actual daily life as it fulfills the aim of any desired design of the people and the governmental requests. Once the students have graduated, it is expected that they will be able to offer the scientific services based on the academic and practical knowledge they gained during their four years of study. The college is expected to offer services to the society through the students who graduate from its departments.
The cultural and the scientific relationships with the other department, private sector and governmental directorates. There is a good relationship between the college and other colleges, private sector and governmental directorates by offering continuous education courses and giving all consultations requested.
There is a cooperation exchange between the college and other colleges by supervision on higher education researches and study courses, besides dealing with external examiners to acess higher educated student thesis. The college has relationships with many different parties through scientific fields. Concerning cultural relationships, there are many relationships with cultural centers such as the Cultural and Social center which is related to the University of Duhok and also with civil society.
Since the foundation of the college, students and teachers have taken part in many academic and cultural activities. During the last week of April, a cultural event is held showcasing guest lecturers, student exhibits, and college-led conferences. These conferences, along with research findings, are published in newspapers and journals. Students who have reached the fourth stage of their degree pay visits to colleges and similar departments at other universities to attend lectures and seminars and to acquaint themselves with university life elsewhere. Each year the staff and students of the English department present plays in English, to the local residents. Most recently, students presented "The Merchant of Venice" in 2005, "Julius Caesar" in 2006, and "Major Barbara" in 2007.
Other activities within the college include: visits to archeological sites, old castles in the Dohuk province, and various historical regions. Students of the department also attend seminars, conferences, and workshops offered for their benefit and participation. These caucuses allow students to participate in presentations by specialists from foreign universities such as the American Baylor University. In order to cover the deficit in college, it has admitted students for graduate studies to both the Kurdish Language and History departments since 2000-2001. In addition, some of the college graduates (i.e.: Ph.D. and MA) are now studying in other Iraqi universities, (E.g. the University of Saladdin/Erbil, the University of Mosul, and the University of Baghdad).